OITAF is the International Organization for Transportation by Rope (Organizzazione Internationale Trasporti a Fune). It was established in Milan (I) in 1959. At the time members of 33 countries join the organization. The establishment of OITAF is caused by the fact to have members of all three categories of the ropeway business, namely:
- operators respectively ropeway enterprises
- manufacturers of ropeway systems and
- authorities (as representatives of the states)
in one and the same organization to solve the current problems together.
Further members are institutions which do research and experimental work in the field of ropeway business, such as universities, academies and laboratories but also individuals whose work respectively interest is founded in this field.
Goals of OITAF
- Promotion of development and improvement of the ropeway business.
- Promotion of studies and experiments which support development and improvement of the ropeway business.
- Promotion of standartisation of the national norms in the field of ropeway transportation.
- Elaboration of standardized international guidelines for projection, construction, operation, maintenance and control of ropeways as well as setting up corresponding recommendations.
- Realization of international congresses for transportation by rope (every 6 years).
Download the brochure: "Wath is OITAF?"