At the time, OITAF has 6 committees and two works Groups (variable number depending on necessity) which meet regularly. These committees deal with current technical, administrative, legal and economic topics of the ropeway business. The following committees exist.
Chairman: Gaëtan Rioult
1461 rue de la Piscine
38400 SAINT MARTIN D’HERES
Tel. ++ 033-04-76637878
- Development of technical recommendations on the design, construction and operation of ropeways, in particular in fields not covered by European or international standards, such as:
- Analysis of issues arising in the design of ropeways taking account of specific features of configurations and procedures for the operation, evacuation and maintenance of installations;
- Safety analysis of the overall system, subsystems or components of ropeways;
- Monitoring of developments in the construction and operation of ropeways and discussion of incidents and accidents;
- Preparation of draft recommendations on the subjects mentioned above;
- Organization of technical seminars.
- Examples of subjects discussed by Expert Committee I:
- Recommendation on the design and construction of ropeways
- Hazards and risk factors to be considered in safety analyses for ropeways;
- Guidelines for assessing modifications;
- Recommendations on the design and construction of chairlift loading conveyors.
Expert Committee I currently is made up of ropeway experts from 7 European countries (AT, IT, FR, DE, ES, CH, SL) with a well-balanced representation of public authorities, operators and manufacturers.
In this committee are integrated the following:
Work group: Non-public ropeways: Material transport ropeways and cable cranes
Scope of duty:
The last revision and integration of the text of the recommendations of the notebook 8 was completed in 2016, resulting in the current version of the recommendation (Book 8-2).It should be noted that the working group had in previous years carried out the complete revision and re-elaboration of the pre-existing recommendations for the construction and operation of monocable and bicâbles aerial ropeways for material transport and cable cranes (Previous book n ° 8), publishing the 2006 version, subsequently revised and integrated in the 2010 and 2013 editions. The 2006 work had integrated the previous book with the new recommendations for the construction and operation of temporary cableways (with the exception of those for the exclusive transport of timber) and of inclined planes for the transport of material. In the group's work, however, have been exluded the recommendations, already approved by the OITAF, for to and fro bicâbles ropeways for the transport of material up to a mass of 2000 kg.
Composition of the group:
The working group is currently composed of a dozen technical experts from 6 European countries (A, D, CH, P, F, I); it is a balanced presence of representatives of the technical surveillance authorities, exhibitors and builders. The group's work will continue over the next years to check the correct interpretation and application of the recommendation and monitor any need for further additions based on the user experience.
Work group: Non-public ropeways: Transportation of people and goods with reversible aerial ropeways
Head of the work group: Christian Kaizler
Amt der Vorarlberger Landesregierung
Elektro- und Seilbahntechnik
A - 6900 BREGENZ
Tel. 0043 5574 511 26512
Scope of duty:
After completing Book 11-1, the Working Group has suspended its work until the Management Committee assigns further tasks to it.
Chairman: Sven Winter
Scope of duties:
- Survey inspection systems (visual inspection and instrumentation for rope inspections and their use, as well professional requirements to be met by technicians)
- Characteristics and field of application of the different rope systems
- The safety component rope ; conditions for use and execution of the work with ropes, execution of end fixings, as well as requirements to be met by technicians (professional training, certification etc)
Composition of the work committee
Currently the work committee is composed of 20 technical experts of ropeway installations who have been selected with regard to a balances representation of concerned technical supervisory authorities, ropeway operators, notified bodies and rope manufacturers of 7 European countries
Chairman: Erich Megert
Tel. +41 41 8750711
Fax +41 41 8750712
Scope of duties:
Expert Committee III engages in a continuous exchange of information and experiences on the electrical equipment used in ropeways and, if necessary, draws up recommendations for OITAF or other expert committees.
The main topics covered are:
- Identification of significant safety deficiencies
- Compliance with country-specific regulations and harmonized standards as well as their procedures, application and implementation
- Identification of technological and operational innovations and trends
- Handling of modifications and maintenance of existing ropeways
- In-depth discussion of specific technical issues as needed
Expert Committee III currently has around 20 members from five European countries. A well-balanced mix of operators, public authorities, inspection bodies and manufacturers is ensured as far as possible.
Chairman: Jörg Schröttner
Bundesministerium für Verkehr, Innovation und Technologie
Abt. Sch 3 - Seilbahnen u. Schlepplifte
Present scope of duties:
- Ropeways and the EU – issues of interpretation with regard to Directive 2000/9/EC and the new Regulation (EU) 2016/424 as well as problems related to competition law
- Transnational exchange of experiences in ropeway law and economic matters
- Economic importance of ropeways –determination of economic indicators
- Issues related to the liability of ropeway companies under tort law and the passengers’ self-responsibility
- Inspection, control and maintenance of ropeways and their legal bases
- Quality assurance for ropeways
In total, 25 ropeway experts from 5 European countries work in this group presently. Equally represented by authorities, operators and manufacturers
Chairman: Mauro Joyeusaz
Corso G. Cesare, 29 bis
Scope of duties:
- Development of recommendations on the operation of ropeway installations
- Analysis of operational issues arising at ropeway installations in relation to passengers, material used, organization, environment, etc.
- Analysis of malfunctions, special incidents and accidents
- Monitoring the development of methods and equipment for operations, maintenance, inspections, etc.
- Preparation of proposals addressing these issues in order to solve problems or mitigate consequences
Expert Committee VI currently has a total of 16 members from seven countries with a well-balanced representation of technical supervisory authorities, operators and manufacturers
Chairman: Gunther Suette
Mobile +43 (0)650 9002373
Scope of duties:
- Traitement des toutes les questions environnementales relatives au secteur des installations à câbles Et notamment
- Management environnemental
- Responsabilité environnementale et protection de l’environnement en général
- Prise de en compte des directives « faune, flore, habitat » et « protection des oiseaux »
- Les oiseaux dans l’emprise des installations à câbles : câbles invisibles, vitrages des stations
- Situation du climat en général et répercussions sur les installations à câbles
- Economie de la ressource d’eau
- Equipement et monitoring de la neige de culture
- Efficacité énergétique des sociétés et bilan carbone
- Construction des pistes tenues compte des contraintes écologiques
- Mesures de protection contre les avalanches
- Composition de la commission d’études n° VII :
Actuellement, la commission se compose de
16 experts provenant de 6 pays (2 AU, 2 CH, 1 DE, 2 ES, 2 FR, 3 IT) dont 2 représentent les autorités de surveillance, 7 les exploitants et constructeurs, 1 la recherche universitaire, 2 les groupes d’intérêt et 4 les bureaux d’études.